This healthy buffalo chicken dip is the best party appetizer. It’s more delicious, more nutritious, and it only takes 5 ingredients and a crockpot (or microwave). Get going!
healthy Buffalo chicken dip
Does anyone else love game-day specifically because of the food?! While I love watching a good sporting event, you can mostly catch me at watch parties for the appetizers! I love getting to hang out with friends and enjoy all of the dips, apps, and snacks. My plate will be loaded up with the savory and salty, totally delicious buffalo chicken dip.
Buffalo chicken dip is a chicken-based dip loaded up with buffalo sauce and various kinds of cheeses. This healthy buffalo chicken dip has only 5 ingredients and is made in a crockpot! All you have to do is mix all of the ingredients together and let the crockpot do the work. This dip is lightened up with greek yogurt, but just as spicy, creamy and delicious as the standard recipe!
what ingredients do i need?
This recipe only requires 5 ingredients! Here’s what you’ll need:
- shredded chicken – I use a can to keep it easy, but you could totally shred your own chicken to make this.
- plain greek yogurt – This will help create a creamy texture.
- ranch seasoning mix – Ranch seasoning can either be bought in a bottle or in individual packets.
- Frank’s hot sauce – This hot sauce is KEY. It will add some awesome spice and flavor to the recipe!
- mozzarella cheese – Adding some mozzarella to melt as the dip cooks will create a creamy texture for the dip.
Can I make substitutions to the recipe?
- chicken – I use canned chicken because it’s it’s easier, quicker, and cheaper. However, if you have some leftover chicken breast you can shred yourself, you can totally use that instead!
- cheese – Adding more cheese will make this better. I like to add mozzarella, but adding cheddar or another favorite would only help make this cheesier.
- greek yogurt – To make this dairy free, choose a plant-based yogurt. For an even creamier texture, you can opt for cream cheese or sour cream.
- Frank’s hot sauce – I do NOT recommend changing this ingredient! Frank’s is so good and and creates awesome flavor.
What equipment do i need for this recipe?
The only equipment you need for this is a crock pot or slow cooker. A slow cooker is a kitchen tool that uses a method of long and low temperature cooking. Slow cookers allow you to add a bunch of ingredients to a large pot and cook it for you all day. It adds flavor, has minimal mess, and make cooking so easy. My favorite slow cooker was gifted to me for my wedding and I typically triple this recipe with a slow cooker this size. This recipe is perfect for a mini slow cooker!
how do i store it?
This buffalo chicken dip is made in a crock pot. Make this dip ahead of time and let it sit for a few hours to make it super flavorful and creamy. If you have leftovers (which would be so surprising and is never a problem for me), store them in an airtight container. Keep it in the fridge and use between 4-5 days.
Can I reheat it?
You can reheat this dip in the microwave or oven.
- For the microwave: Cook 3-5 minutes, making sure to stir every minute.
- For the oven: Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes.
Make sure to stir well while you’re reheating! I also like to add some extra cheese.
what should i dip in healthy buffalo chicken dip?
If you’re guessing if you can dip something into this buffalo chicken dip, you probably can (and should!) Here are some of my favorites:
- Tortilla chips
- Toasted bread
- Pita chips
- Bell Peppers
what else should i make for game day?
Are you looking for more buffalo chicken recipes? Try one of these fan favorites:
what is the recipe?
If you try this recipe and love it, please rate it and me know your thoughts! Get creative with what to dip as well. Happy snacking!
Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Crock Pot
- 12.5 oz shredded chicken (1 can)
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 3 tbsp ranch seasoning mix (or 1/2 packet of ranch seasoning mix)
- 1/3 cup Frank's hot sauce
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- Add all ingredients into the crock pot.
- Stir until combined.
- Cook for 2 hours in a crock pot or until cheese is melted.
- If using a microwave, simply add all ingredients to a microwave-safe bowl and cook on high, stirring every 30 seconds, until cheese is melted and mix is hot.