In this post you’ll learn how to make overnight oats, get the BEST healthy overnight oats recipes, and find the answers to your most pressing overnight oatmeal questions.
healthy Overnight Oats Recipes
Overnight oats are one of my favorite healthy breakfast ideas. They’re quick and easy to make, packed with protein and nutrients, and so delicious. In this post we will talk all things healthy overnight oats recipes!
what are overnight oAts?
If you haven’t had overnight oatmeal, it is a method of making oatmeal a bit differently than usual. Instead of cooking oats on your stovetop or microwave and eating them warm, overnight oats are cooked by being soaked with ingredients in the fridge overnight. By having the oats soak in the fridge, they will absorb the liquid and be ready to eat without being cooked in the typical way.
best overnight oats recipes
- Peanut Butter Overnight Oats
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Overnight Oats
- Key Lime Pie Overnight Oats
- Cookies and Cream Overnight Oats
- Strawberry Shortcake Overnight Oats
- Peach Cobbler Overnight Oats
- Pumpkin Pie Overnight Oats
- Almond Joy Overnight Oats
- Blueberry Overnight Oats
what ingredients do i need to make overnight oats?
The base of each overnight oats recipe is very simple and uses similar ingredients. Here are some of the basic ingredients:
- Oats – Oatmeal is one my breakfast staples because it’s a slow-digesting carbohydrate that will steadily provide energy. For this recipe, the oats are “cooked” by being mixed with other ingredients and sitting in the fridge overnight. I would suggest quick oats.
- Chia seeds – A scoop of chia seeds doesn’t add flavor, but several nutrients. They can also help thicken up the oatmeal for a creamy texture.
- Almond milk – The almond milk is going to help “cook” the oats and serve as the liquid that the oats will absorb.
- Greek yogurt – Greek yogurt is going to make the oats extra creamy. It is also an awesome source of protein!
- Vanilla – A little bit of vanilla will add some extra sweetness to the oats.
- Optional Add-Ins: Protein powder, syrup, honey, stevia, cocoa powder, fruit, chocolate chips, peanut butter, etc.
what substitutions can i make for overnight oats?
- Oats – Because this recipe is for overnight oats, you definitely need some sort of oats. I use quick oats but you could use gluten-free, flavored, or whatever kind you like best.
- Chia seeds – This is an optional ingredient and the recipe will still turn out great if you don’t add these seeds.
- Almond milk – Any other kind of milk will work well for this recipe so you can choose whatever matches your dietary needs.
- Plain greek yogurt – Any kind of yogurt will work for this recipe. You can use greek or low-fat, and vanilla or plain. A dairy-free option would also work.
- Vanilla – A little bit of vanilla will add some extra sweetness to the oats, but you could opt for stevia, honey, or syrup.
- Peanut Butter – This is an important ingredient for the flavor of peanut butter overnight oats. You can use any kind of peanut butter you like! If you’d rather use a different kind of nut butter like cashew, almond, or sunflower, it will turn out great!
what can i add to my overnight oats?
ANYTHING YOU WANT. Seriously. Once you have a base recipe for overnight oats, you can add in any ingredients you like!
- For more protein: greek yogurt, protein powder, cottage cheese, nut butter
- Extra sweetness: honey, syrup, vanilla, fruit
- For texture: granola, chia seeds, chocolate chips
are overnight oats healthy?
Each person has their own definition of healthy, and overnight oats are absolutely healthy for me! All of my favorite overnight oats recipes have a balance of carbohydrates, protein, and healthy fats. Most of the recipes are packed with protein and have at least 20 grams per serving. There are whole ingredient add-in’s as well that can add delicious and nutritious flavors. I love that I can eat this for breakfast and it will keep me full and fueled until lunch!
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO MAKE overnight oats?
Most overnight oats recipes are incredibly quick and easy! It will take 5 minutes for you to gather the ingredients, add the ingredients to the jar, and clean up. THE EASIEST.
what does soaking oats overnight do?
Soaking the oats overnight is the “cooking method” for cold oats. Instead of the oats absorbing water quickly like when you add hot water, the oats absorb the colder liquids slowly in the fridge. Soaking the oats overnight will make them extra creamy and get them ready to eat!
how do i store overnight oats?
You can make make most overnight oats recipes ahead of time and store them in the fridge for up to 5 days.
how soon can i eat overnight oats?
You can make overnight oats recipes the night before you need the oats, at the beginning of the week, or at least 4 hours before you’re hoping to eat them.
can you lose weight by eating overnight oats?
Definitely! Eating overnight oats is not going to guarantee weight loss because there’s nothing magic about any kind of food. HOWEVER, eating overnight oats can be a way to incorporate healthy foods into your diet and make you feel better while staying active. Fueling your body with nutritious foods, staying active, and doing what makes you feel good are awesome ways to lose weight. There isn’t a “one size fits all” approach for losing weight and I would recommend doing research, talking to a certified nutritionist, or consulting your doctor.
how do i make overnight oats?
- Gather all ingredients.
- Combine all ingredients into one jar.
- Shake well until all ingredients are mixed together.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Enjoy straight from the jar or pour into a bowl and add additional toppings.
can i meal prep overnight oats?
Overnight oats are awesome for meal prep! All you need are a few jars or containers, 5 minutes, and all of the ingredients. These are perfect to make before a busy week and you can grab them in the morning on your way out the door. They will last in your fridge all week for whenever you need them.
CAN I HAVE THE RECIPEs?
Here are some of my favorite overnight oats recipes! I hope you find one that works well for you.